We are restarting the P24 Plasma Physics Summer School 2012 , a series of talks designed to introduce students to the broad field of plasma physics, important examples in nature and the laboratory, and the many applications ranging from astrophysics to Z pinches. The intended audience is mostly undergraduates, but all including students and post docs are welcome. Weekly talks are Wednesdays, 1PM-2PM at the Center for NonLinear Studies (CNLS) conference room. CNLS Phone: 505-667-1444, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, TA-3, Bldg. 1690, Rm. 101. No signup necessary.
2012 Wed jun 13, through July and August: 15 talks, once per week, wed 1pm at CNLS
1. 2012jun13: kick off, intro: Tom Intrator
a. What is a plasma, regimes, methods of doing plasma physics
b. Hands on plasma globes
2. 2012jun21: intro, Prof . Bruno Bauer, Univ. Nevada - Reno
a. Single particle motion, particle drifts
b. kinetic theory, collisions
c. kinetic to fluid description, MHD
3. 2012 jun28: Overview of research being done in p-24 Ð Juan Fernandez, P24 Group Leader
4. 2012 jul03: intro to MHD: intrator - NOTE: TUESDAY NOT WEDNESDAY
a. fluid description, MHD
b. non ideal
iii. shear flow
v. relevance to astrophysics and space physics
2012jul04: Independence day (this Wednesday is a holiday)
5. 2012jul11: intro to particle in cell methods - computational plasma physics: Bill Daughton X-PC6
6. 2012jul18: energy crisis, fission, fusion, non carbon fuel cycles Thom Weber
a. lawson criteria
b. history of fusion ideas and projects:
c. Tritium breeding, power balance,.
7. 2012jul25: High energy density plasmas: Kirk Flippo
a. ICF: Methods of drive, laser plasma interactions, instabilities, arial density, gain, rad-hydro. - ???
b. warm dense matter, fast ignition, relativistic plasmas, etc.
8. 2012aug01: non fusion Applications
a. Spacecraft thrusters: weber
i. Rocket equation, thrust vs. power, Electrothermal, electrostatic, electromagnetic thrusters. Arcjet, MPD, Ion thruster, Hall thruster, VASIMIR, FRC thrusters (ELF).
9. 2012aug08: MIF: Tom Awe (Sandia)
a. Lindemuth and siemon arguments, liner fusion (maglif, mtf, plx, general fusion, mago, linus). Ð
10. 2012aug15: Yongho Kim
a. Industrial technologies
iii. Coatings, ion implantation, polymer crosslink
iv. Semiconductor processing
POSSIBLE EXTRA TALK
2012aug??: space & astro plasma physics: Borovsky, Geoff Reeves, intrator
Astrophysical, space, plasmas:
Large scale structures (galaxy, universe), accretion disks, star formation, magnetosphere, cosmic rays, dynamo, stellar collapse, reconnection.
reconnection and turbulence, micro vs macroscale
self organization, relaxation, momentum transport